I was overcharged on my Verizon wireless bill by $30. I called the company to get help with this and was told that the only way that they would help me is if I provided them with my SS#.

When I asked to speak to the supervisor I was put on hold for 26 minutes and he said that, without providing my SS# he would not help. This seems like an unsafe practice believe that there must be some other way to help identify my bill.

I offered to provide them with my Verizon account password, but that wasn't sufficient. They told me that I would simply have to pay the bill.

Comments

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #747584

The problem with giving them your s.s.# is too obvious, what if it's not really Verizon. I got callS from a # purporting to be Verizon about a problem with my bill (which I did not have)& they asked for my social.

When I asked her for some proof that she was actually from Verizon, she couldn't/wouldn't provide same & became pretty rude, so I hung up. Now I'm getting calls all the time from different #'s purporting to be Verizon & 'my problem with my acct" VERY ANNOYING, and when I call Verizon, not much help.

I still don't know whether this is some 'rogue' sub-contractor or actual Verizon people, or a total scam... :( Has made me sorry I switched to Verizon.

MikeBrady
Chantilly, Virginia, United States #745998

They ask for SS to prove you are who you say. Otherwise, anybody could call them and make changes to your service.

Wouldn't you be angry if they allowed someone to cancel your service without providing any proof that they are authorized to make changes? They already have your SS in front of them. How is repeating it back to them "Unsafe"?

You made it hard on yourself by not cooperating. And of course, all of the other people on hold had to wait while you argued with them.