E mails containing spam links are coming from my AOL e mail (not a look-alike address but my actual email address) to my contacts from my AOL address book. They do not appear in my sent folder.

I changed my password but they kept on going out. I contacted AOL who's representative in the philippines spent many tens of minutes on the phone but could only tell me how to block spam messages from senders. He said that my problem required technical support but to access technical support I had to pay for premium service. I asked if I could cancel my account (I have had it for over 20 years), the operator needed to contact a supervisor who said the only way the account can be cancelled is to not login for 6 months.

I pointed out that this would mean these spam links coming from my account would still be sent until the account was disabled. The operator suggested I pay for the enhanced service and have tech support fix the issue which he was confident they could do (me not so much).

I went online and found a route through which account cancellation was possible except at the end of the steps I see, “We apologize that the feature for enabling our users to cancel their username and email address is currently unavailable. We are working diligently to have this feature functioning by July 2018”, you’ll need to come back to MyAccount at a later date." I pay $260 a month to Verizon for Internet and TV but will now do everything I can to eliminate that spend as a result of this incompetence.

Product or Service Mentioned: Verizon Account.

Preferred solution: My AOL account closed immediately..

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jun 30.

Comments

THERE IS NOW A WAY TO DELETE YOUR AOL ACCOUNT! First: Sign out of ALL apps/devices Then, go to https://login.aol.com/account/activity click "sign out" next to each session.

Go to https://myaccount.aol.com/ Click the "delete" link (you may need to scroll down to see it) Read the info carefully! Click "Continue delete my account" Enter your full AOL email (including the @aol.com part, as in janedoe@aol.com) Click "Yes, terminate this account" Wait for the progress indicator to complete. DO NOT PRESS the "Got it" button at the bottom of the screen.

Click your name in the top right Click "Sign out" Wait for the progress indicator to complete. (this one may take up to 30 seconds)