E mails containing spam links are coming from my AOL e mail (not a look-alike address but my actual email address) to my contacts from my AOL address book. They do not appear in my sent folder.

I changed my password but they kept on going out. I contacted AOL who's representative in the philippines spent many tens of minutes on the phone but could only tell me how to block spam messages from senders. He said that my problem required technical support but to access technical support I had to pay for premium service. I asked if I could cancel my account (I have had it for over 20 years), the operator needed to contact a supervisor who said the only way the account can be cancelled is to not login for 6 months.

I pointed out that this would mean these spam links coming from my account would still be sent until the account was disabled. The operator suggested I pay for the enhanced service and have tech support fix the issue which he was confident they could do (me not so much).

I went online and found a route through which account cancellation was possible except at the end of the steps I see, “We apologize that the feature for enabling our users to cancel their username and email address is currently unavailable. We are working diligently to have this feature functioning by July 2018”, you’ll need to come back to MyAccount at a later date." I pay $260 a month to Verizon for Internet and TV but will now do everything I can to eliminate that spend as a result of this incompetence.

Preferred solution: My AOL account closed immediately..

Comments