Verizon FIOS charge for unreturned equipment SCAM!!!

627 of 1434 Verizon Reviews
Issue not resolved

Moved out of my residence in September 2010, requested return boxes for the equipment i had. Never received anything. Called a second and third time, never received boxes. Finally, was told to bring boxes to a UPS center to send them back. I did so and 3 months after, I get a bill from Verizon for $954!!!!!!!!!!! for unreturned equipement.

I have made dozens of calls to them at this point, provided the tracking number every single time, yet this still appears on my credit report. Initially my score dropped 100 points because of this!!!!!!!

At my wits end with this disgrace of a company!! I have never once complained anywhere about a company, but this is simply unacceptable and is literally damaging my life.

d630180 review #298680
26 Helpful? 21
Had the same issue25 Comments24 Report
627 of 1434 Verizon Reviews
Had an experience with Verizon?  Submit review about this company
CSpins

Dec 06 Ontario, California

Same issue!! Nightmare began 2010! Has anyone had any luck rectifying this situation? Any class Action Suits?

KKM

Oct 29 Edgewater, New Jersey

I am facing the same problem.
Not sure what to do with the collection agency.
MRS Associates
1930 Olney Ave
Cheery Hill, NJ 08003
This collection agency is part of the Verizon.

JD

Jul 27

I am going through the same thing. Returned extra settop box when roomie moved out two years ago, now they tell me they never received it despite the fact they stopped billing me for it a week after I sent it back in their box. Just got a letter from debt collector saying I owe $275 even though I spoke with Verizon about 6 different times and the last time they assured me my account had been cleared. I am livid. Not only has this Ben a huge hassle in regards to hours on the phone and really rude inept customer service reps, but I have always been so careful about my credit score and now this happens! This has got to be illegal!!

scam

Feb 18

I am having the same problem. But mine is even worse. We returned our equipment on 2/13/2013 and have a receipt for the transaction. They are charging us over $700.00 for the equipment. They are now calling our son and demanding that he pay. This is not even his bill and somehow they got his social SS# and are telling him they are putting a charge off on his credit if he does not pay. Our son was 10 years old when we started with Verizon and this equipment is or was definitely not put in his name. How dare this company now start attacking their patrons children to collect a bill!

Nebula

Jan 24 San Diego, California

I have been with Verizon Fios almost 3 years, there has NOT been a single moth I have not had a billing dispute. These people are common THIEVES, always over bill their clients. Every time you change your service or transfer your address, they send you new equipment and they ask you to return the old ones back. I went through this 3 times, and in all occasions they claimed they did NOT receive my old equipment, in all occasions I was lucky enough to have my UPS receipt, so they waived, but I know in all occasion they had 1 thing in mind, to scam me.....

Oct 03, 2013

I cancelled my service with Verizon and I still have the router. I cant seem to find where to send the box. I dont want to get charged for it. Went to a wireless store and they said that I have to go to a landline store. Please answer

digital_alchemy

May 03, 2013 Baltimore, Maryland

Same issue they claim to not have received the cable card and have charged me for it. The cable card was in the box with the set top box and they acknowledge receiving the set top box.

I was also in MD.

Feb 18, 2013 Dallas, Texas

This is very interesting.I have had a contract with VERIZON for about (8)Year's now.I reside in TEXAS and I have returned several product's to VERIZON and Each product that i returned was recieved within the allowed time frame.Number (1)VERIZON PRODUCT has to be returned in their return boxes along with the return LABEL ON THE OUTSIDE OF THEIR RETURN BOXES.(2)The product that is being returned has to be DROPPED OFF IN THE DROP BOX which is mostly located in the front of the entrance door to the USPS.(3)I have never had to pay to return any product to VERIZON.(4)The USPS WILL RETURN THE PRODUCT but why?Would anyone pay to have the product returned when you can do this FREE OF CHARGE.When you return VERIZON PRODUCT the USPS and ALSO the UPS CAN and WILL LOSE PRODUCT that is suppose to be RETURNED.Now you OWE these charge's all because you did not follow INSTRUCTION'S.You say you did not recieve the return boxe's right.So what type of RETURN BOXES DID YOU USE TO RETURN THE PRODUCT.And also what ADDRESS did you return the product to.This post does not RING TRUE.Pay the people and Move on.Next time i bet you will use the "FEDEX DROP BOX"Like you are suppose to.Believe me "FEDEX"Pick's up EVERY HOUR FOR RETURN'S TO VERIZON.

0 4 Reply

Aug 20

What are talking about? Who says you have to PAY when you take your boxes to UPS?
YOU DON'T PAY, IT IS A FREE SERVICE FROM $#@$#%# VERIZON!!!
We DID do exactly what $#@$@# verizon said to do!
With PROOF of shipping and PROOF $%@^%^$ verizon's Representative signature of receiving package.
After many phone calls they said it will take 1 to 3 BILLING cycles for them to finish investigating my claim.
WHAT? YOUR mistake %$#@%$#% verizon, fix my credit report now!!!

qthousand

Feb 18, 2013 Dallas, Texas

I experienced the same thing only it was the Verizon Wireless I was sent to replacement phones 1 of them was sent to Las Vegas. I never received it it was to be sent to the hotel I was staying at. the second 1 was sent to my Daytona Beach home I received it opened it it did not work well the speaker didn't at least. After sending it back and receiving iPhone that worked refurbished mind you I did not have any return information no slip to send it back to Verizon. So I did what any smart custom what do went to the Verizon store receive shipping information and drop it off at the FedEx right next door. 2 weeks later I receive a text message thank you for the return property I received 2 of these messages because I sent them back to phone. Fast forward 2 months later my bill is 1400 dollars 42 phones that I return. And I was asked to present the tracking numbers. It had been over a month in 2 weeks why would I still have tracking numbers after you say I successfully returned your merchandise better yet, why what I keep a phone that does not work and furthermore why are you trying to charge me 700 dollars per phone refurbished at that???? I've had Verizon for over 8 years it's a shame it had to end that way and now they expect me to pay them 1200 dollars..... What to do what do I do I'm being robbed and there's nothing I can really do about it

PG

Jan 30, 2013

Has anyone made any progress on their problem with unreturned equipment? We sent our equipment back from Mailboxes Etc. (like Verizon specified) and kept the tracking number that has the date, time, location, and even person who signed for the cable box when it was received. I have been on the phone with Verizon reps numerous times and none of them seem to have the same information. In fact, today, after talking to three reps, 2 of them could not even find my account! And my bill of $571 is still pending. I argued with Finance at Verizon to get them to put a hold on sending the bill to collections, and that I won't be held responsible for them losing track of the box. They signed for it and assumed full responsibility, and now customers are paying the price. I am sick and exhausted of dealing with so many incompetent representatives... but then again, I think this is exactly what Verizon wants... for customers to give up and pay erroneous charges so that their credit won't be affected. All of our experiences are exactly the same! I am SHOCKED that no one has filed some kind of class-action lawsuit against Verizon for this level of extortion. Any advice on what to do to successfully remove the charges would be most appreciated.

marge

Oct 11, 2012

:( They are thieves, customer service is rude, *** and obnoxious. I make sure that whoever I had spoken to I got first and last name and employee number. Also told them if my account did not show up as credited for return of boxes go bother UPS not me. I told them if I found anything on my credit report, I would sue and make it a class action. Their billing was different every single month. NOONE could ever explain that. Well, verizon gets the employees they pay for. I believe they get minimum wage unless they are the suits who of course make millions.

Lukasz Krzecio

Aug 12, 2012

I'm having the exact same problem right now. Has anyone had an luck disputing these charges? Any idea on how to proceed? My account was in Maryland. I tried calling on a Sunday seeing that I work full time, and obviously their office was closed.

betty

Aug 07, 2012

The same thing happened to me. Equipment returned in 2010, its now 2012 and its still on my credit report. I sent a copy of the receipt to the creditor, but they say they need one with zero balance. Verizon cant give me that because the acct is old n has been sold. I dont know what else to do. Let me add that the equipment was returned 2010 n Verizon sold it to the Creditor on 2011... Wats up with that?!

hot mail

Jul 17, 2012

I sent equipment back, they say they didnt get it.
thats not my fault.

Lindsey C

Jul 10, 2012

WOW! The same thing happened to me. We moved out of state not too far (MASS to NH), i called to disconnect service and inquire on how I could return their equipment (as I have before with Comcast, figuring they had a store somewhere!). The customer service lady asked where I currently lived and where I was moving to. I lived around Lowell and work in N. Reading and she said that there was no "close place to my locations that would be convenient for me, so they can send an self-addressed box to my new home and they pay all the shipping" I was thinking WOW what great service Verizon provides and what a sweet sales rep. LOL. Well we moved into our new home on 4/1/12, and "out of site, out of mind forgot that we had yet to receive the boxes, and then on 6/15 we received a bill for 1168.75 for unreturned items! I called them again, and spoke with a nice gentleman (Will), who kind of chuckled after I told him the lady was supposed to send the boxes. He told me to take a copy of my bill, and go to a UPS store, let them know you need to send equipment to Verizon Corporate Account. I didn't even have to pay a dime. But I am trying to log into Verizon (as I lost my UPS tracking #)- But I do have old home number, acct number, and customer acct number-and surprisingly "No record found" is popping up. I loved Verizon for the Fios, but holy *** this is a pain! :upset

Michele

May 09, 2012

Verizon claims that eqipment returned is still owned by me. I have faxed receipts and I cannot get this resolved. I am now writing to the OAG Office of Atty. General and probably now going to court to fight them on unfair billing. Blog again on how this turns out.

Marilyn

Apr 23, 2012

You guys think Spring or Verizon is bad you should try and deal with Frontier Communications. They promise everything over the phone but that is far as it goes. Have been dealing with them for over 6 months and have to call them yet again tomorrow.

B.

Apr 05, 2012

I think Verizon has incentive to invent false charges and then send it to collections. Here is what I think is going on...Verizon gets to sell the debt they claim you owe to the collection agency (IC System), then the part they couldn't sell -- they will claim as a tax break -- getting out of paying their fair share of taxes --- and Verizon gets to put a nick in a lost customer's credit rating (extortion). The reason I say this is extortion is because one reason why many people just go ahead and pay them for false charges so they won't suffer the credit ding. Or sometimes people hang around as Verizon's customer because they are thinking that Verizon will only solve the problem if you stick with them & keep paying them something. I might be posting my full story later. But, I can tell you -- I'm not sure the FTC,the public utilities commission, nor the attorney general, care -- but you should complain anyway.... if they don't hear enough complaints they won't do anything at all... there has to be public pressure... that's basically what the attorney general wrote to me, even though I pointed out this scam was not just against the individual consumer, but the public (through tax deception/evasion, and unjust means of pulling in more profit)through invented debts.

1-20 of 24 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.